VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to shorten the gear stick?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spanky
Scene Mincer
spanky

Number of posts : 604
Ride : Impreza Turbo 2000 373bhp+, Bora Tdi SE, TT 225 Quattro
Registration date : 2009-07-20

How to shorten the gear stick? Empty
PostSubject: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? EmptyTue Nov 03 2009, 16:54

Seen a few dubs lately and they all have shortened gear sticks, was wondering whether you can buy a short stick from somewhere or would you have to cut it yourself?
ThanksHow to shorten the gear stick? Golf_interior
Back to top Go down
craigolfmk4
VAG Resident
craigolfmk4

Number of posts : 403
Ride : MK4 Golf
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? EmptyTue Nov 03 2009, 17:45

Both. You can buy a quick shift for various models but i've also known people to cut the shaft an inch or so. The reasoning behind it is to reduce the throw as you change gear thus getting a quicker change.
Back to top Go down
spanky
Scene Mincer
spanky

PostSubject: Re: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? EmptyTue Nov 03 2009, 17:47

Ahh, nice one for the info mate, Ill go hack my car now lol
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
themimoth
Scene Mincer
themimoth

Number of posts : 682
Ride : Skoda Fabia vrs. TDI CITI Golf, Golf Mk1 Campain
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? EmptyFri Nov 27 2009, 11:18

spanky wrote:
Seen a few dubs lately and they all have shortened gear sticks, was wondering whether you can buy a short stick from somewhere or would you have to cut it yourself?
ThanksHow to shorten the gear stick? Golf_interior

i been told that if you take an inch (imperial :S ) offone side of the linkage i.e the stick you must add an inch to the arm that comes out the gear box. and the other way round. cant remember which way was to shorten the shift , id imagine cutting the arm on the gear box and extendig the arm on the stick. i know a bloke that payed £40 quid for a mk1 quickshift kit and when he got it it was just the arm thicks that sum1 had savaged already :S
Back to top Go down
spanky
Scene Mincer
spanky

PostSubject: Re: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? EmptySat Nov 28 2009, 17:04

f**k it then lol, not starting on the mk3 no more, got a mk4 tdi on the way so Ill forget the whole idea! How to shorten the gear stick? 122709
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to shorten the gear stick?   How to shorten the gear stick? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to shorten the gear stick?
Page 1 of 1