VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Have No Power Steering When It Rains

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

Number of posts : 399
Ride : VW Golf GTI MK3 8V
Registration date : 2009-05-28

I Have No Power Steering When It Rains Empty
PostSubject: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 10:10

If it rains a lot my power steering hardly works. The belt is slipping because it's so wet and last night while driving on the A55 it went two or three times and the lights dipped and then squeak and hey presto power steering and headlights. It's fine in the dry and doesn't even squeak when on full lock. My MK2 did the same driving down to All Types last year I had to wrestle the steering wheel getting it round the roundabout. Anyone else get this in either a MK2 or MK3???
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

Number of posts : 792
Ride : Ibiza Mk2
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 12:01

Think you need to get your aux. belt changed... Mine used to creak on full lock, and I was told that it was that. So if you combine that with rain, I'd imagine that it would squeal too...
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 12:16

Yeah I will get it changed fairly soon. It was fine this morning driving to Parc Menai it's just when it pisses it down.
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 12:21

Mine was really temperamental I have to admit. Need to get my CV's joints done too :/ ugh!
Back to top Go down
dan_mk1
Keyboard Warrior
dan_mk1

Number of posts : 222
Ride : mk2 1.8t daily, mk1 1.8t project
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 12:42

Thats defintly the belt slippin, mite jus need tightenin tho. Its the small V belt rite down at the bottom an only runs the p/s.

Very easy to change or adjust, you only need 3 diffrnt spanners!
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 12:56

Wasn't going to delve into it much Razz

1. I'm still learning

2. I don't have a GTi Sad
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 13:08

Is it something anyone can do or is it a ball ache of a job?? Saying that anything I've attempted to do on a VW has been a ball ache.
Back to top Go down
dan_mk1
Keyboard Warrior
dan_mk1

Number of posts : 222
Ride : mk2 1.8t daily, mk1 1.8t project
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 13:20

nah its simple enuf. 2x 13mm bolts lock it in place at the bottom that jus need lossening off, same for the 1 bigger 16mm at the top of the pump that it pivots on.
Then it should 'wind' fwd or back on the 22mm star/cog thing behind one of the 13mm bolts you loosened, at worst they need a tap to get them moving when freed off.

Its never easy to explain things an it not sound fukd up but have a look at it an it should make some sense Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains EmptyThu Dec 31 2009, 13:27

I will do at some point but until then if it's raining I will drive my fiancée's Beamer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Have No Power Steering When It Rains   I Have No Power Steering When It Rains Empty

Back to top Go down

I Have No Power Steering When It Rains
Page 1 of 1