VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?

Go down 
+2
OwainMK1
Ade88
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ade88
Keyboard Warrior
Ade88

Number of posts : 91
Ride : 1990 MK2 Golf Gti 2.0 8v
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 16:11

Hi guys,

Just wandered if anyone is running a 'classic' insurance policy on any of their dubs at all? Looking to get an agreed value and limited mileage set up given the good condition that my mk2 gti is in and would hate to end up with 'the current book value price' if ever written off god forbid Driving

Does anyone reccommend or personally use a particular company? Just in the process of ringing round a few as I'm due for renewel next month.

Cheers Very Happy VW
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 17:40

Im with HIC classic car insurance. 5K mileage but i havent set up an agreed valuation yet, shud do really. 150 dollar fully comp a year.

08451 290 290
Back to top Go down
Scirocco_oldboy
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 225
Ride : Scirocco
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 17:49

Ive done it for years
Both my Scirocco's are on 1 classic policy. The driver sometimes have to be over 25 Y/O. The annual mileage is restricted to an agreed limit anything from 1000 to i think 10000. The lower the limit the cheaper the policy. Some don't allow the car to be used for commuting to and from work. One point of note with all classic policys you don't acrue a no claims bonus.
With agreed value I think they will do up to £3000 on your say so, more than that then you have to send in photo's and fill a form on condition. You may need a 3 party valueation, like an owners club rep to value the car. Some will accept a garage report on the car.
Ive used many companys over the years, mainly picked out of clssic car mags. However for the last 5 Years ive used Gott & Wynne, of Llandudno they too advertise nationwide but it's nice to use local companys. I can thouroughly recomend them. Phil & Gavin do all the classic policys they are both into classic cars Phil is into VW's Tel 01492870991
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 18:35

i wanna try get classic insurance end of this year or next yar wen the golfs finished as hic u gt to be 19 i think
Back to top Go down
dazmjuk
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 73
Ride : Bora 2L Sport
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 18:55

A mate uses classic insurance on his mk1 cab. Works out far better than 'regular' insurance.
Back to top Go down
Luke_MK1
VAG Wales Moderator
Luke_MK1

Number of posts : 2679
Ride : Mk2 GTI - Citroen C5
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 19:28

If your young footman James!

Lad in college has a mini on it!
The golf they said, was too much of a hot hatch for me to insure :@ it was a 1.1 Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.oes-uk.com
Ade88
Keyboard Warrior
Ade88

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 21:29

Thanks guys,

Will do somemore ringing around tomorrow then.

I've heard to insure it on a classic that they won't do it if you've changed the engine etc... is this true? Mine is still an 8v but with a 2.0 litre bottom end instead of the stock 1.8 Laughing
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 21:45

whose gunna go looking ? assesors couldent tell. me personaly wouldent mention it.
Back to top Go down
Ade88
Keyboard Warrior
Ade88

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? EmptyTue Jan 25 2011, 22:04

Fair comment.

But the AGG 2.0 litre block is a bit of a giveaway as the strut brace had to be removed due to the block being taller. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?   Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone running classic car insurance on their dubs?
Page 1 of 1