VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gearbox help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

Number of posts : 279
Ride : Very low & slow Lupo
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 07:31

Hi was wondering weather anyone eles has had any problems with the driveshaft an diff since my gearbox has decide to die lol an guy from rac told me that my driveshaft could be under stress From it being so low which has made the diff in the gearbox go anyone eles have these problem if so how can I sort it out any help would be appreciated thanks
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 10:20

nope ive never had this trouble its would be under a bit more stress than normal but i dont think it should be to bad
matt
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
xkarinx
Scene Mincer
xkarinx

Number of posts : 676
Ride : Polo 6n2 GTi, Lupo 1.4s
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 11:13

This has just happened to my Polo. Be prepared to part with a fair bit of money, that's all I can tell ya. Well unless you know someone that's willing to rebuild your gearbox for you, or can fit you a new one without getting charged the hefty labour charges at a garage. That's all you can do really, either rebuild or get a new one
Back to top Go down
craigolfmk4
VAG Resident
craigolfmk4

Number of posts : 403
Ride : MK4 Golf
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 17:50

Your driveshaft will be placed under greater stress. Ive known a few driveshafts to pop out on lupos/arosa's nut never a diff issue. As Karin said, rebuild or fit a new one. Lift the car a couple of coils and fit an inch bigger rim to cover the arch gap.
Back to top Go down
xkarinx
Scene Mincer
xkarinx

Number of posts : 676
Ride : Polo 6n2 GTi, Lupo 1.4s
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 22:24

With the Polo GTi gearbox's the rivets on the diff are stupidly soft which causes them to shear off. Same goes for other box's, including ones on the Lupo so the diff's are known to go. I'm no real expert though, but it is one of the common problems.

You should be able to get a new gearbox that'll fit easy enough though. Or if you want any indication of prices to rebuild then I can help haha
Back to top Go down
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyThu May 05 2011, 23:08

Well at the min I have had no luck finding a gearbox yet but have been told a 6n2 gearbox should fit same as the lupo one so trying to source one from barkers but no one has one Sad good think is I no a garage that will fit my new box for £80 win on that bit lol an ya karin any info on price for it to be repaired would be great help thanks
Back to top Go down
Golf456
Keyboard Warrior
Golf456

Number of posts : 182
Ride : Audi A3 2.0 Tdi
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyTue May 10 2011, 18:55

Dont bother with a second hand box as the same will happen again. You will need a recon which has been fitted with hardend bolts instead of the soft rivets! My rivet head came out of the box and made a hole in the side casing. This can be caused by many diffrent stresses on the box.... wheel spin, excessive cornering, lowering ect ect. Choclate rivets!!!! This is a good read about it

http://www.btinternet.com/~a_hutton/VW_Gearbox_Failure.htm

Allthough this may not be the youre exact box its the similar problem across the range!!
Back to top Go down
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help EmptyWed May 11 2011, 18:35

Would just like to say thanks to everyone for the help well my gearbox is now all fixed got it reconditioned whitch cost me £450 for the labour an parts so car is running all sweet now woo so c everyone who is going at all types so I'll c u there everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearbox help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox help   Gearbox help Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearbox help
Page 1 of 1