VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Latest correction

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
craigolfmk4
VAG Resident
craigolfmk4

Number of posts : 403
Ride : MK4 Golf
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptySat Apr 14 2012, 18:44

So, putting house things to one side I got on with giving the car some much needed love. Weather looked promising. Didn't take too many before and after shots as I just needed to get the job done and had limited time.

The paint was awful. Swirls everywhere. Looked like it'd been washed with a 1 bucket method of gravel when the sun hit it! 1 panel that I knew about had orange peel that needed sorting but one thing that went unnoticed was the amount of tar on the car. I know its an 11 yr old car but christ! Lower panels, arches, and a little above the door strips. Both front door lower panels were close to being half black with the stuff (no exaggeration).

So here's the armoury.....
Latest correction E548f310

Placed 3 pieces of clay in warm water to soften whilst I started washing with the 2 bucket method inc. grit guard working from top to bottom. Used a clay bar on the panels with heavy tar to remove some before spraying with Autosmart tardis, agitating then leaving whilst the rest of the car got the clay treatment.

Here's a picture of the tar spots. It's not great as you can't really see many.
Latest correction 2012-04-13101338

And of the clay after a small section
Latest correction 2012-04-13101327

I had to clay each panel around 4 or 5 times, each time getting a similar result.

Clay after passes on the rear bumper
Latest correction 2012-04-13105543

Some of the tar was removed but around half still remained and required further work. Car was then washed again. The rear quarter that had orange peel got the wet sand treatment. 1500 then 2000 grit before being washed again and then polished along with the rest of the car.

Products used: Kestrel DAS6-pro with 6" and 4" compounding waffle pad with Menzerna power finish.
Gave the whole car a couple of goings over with this method. Then wanted to use the Menzerna final finish to make sure there were no holograms or blemishes in the paint before using Zaino Z-5 with Zfx accelerator. Unfortunately the rain was about to come at this point so without having any wax on the car quickly applied Zaino Z-8 to temporarily seal the paint til I have time to finish the job.

Gutted!!!

DAY 2

Today looked good to finish the job and get some needed protection on the paint. As I was unable to use the Z-5 mix last night, I had to bin it and make another batch. Each batch only lasts for 6 hours after being mixed.

I put this on the panels, left to cure for half an hour and buffed off with a microfiber. To add a little more depth but primarily to fill some of the imperfections that were left (as I was unable to remove every imperfection) I gave the car a few passes with Poorboys black hole on a slow-medium speed with a 6" finishing pad as it breaks down easily. As a sealant, I used Auto Glym EGP, left to cure for an hour before buffing off and Auto Glym HD wax to finish.

Here's some finished shots.

Latest correction 2012-04-14103915
Latest correction 2012-04-14113011
Latest correction 2012-04-14113109
Latest correction 2012-04-14113153
Latest correction 2012-04-14113206

This was the panel that had orange peel and had to be flatted. 1500, 2000 then Menz polish.
Latest correction 2012-04-14113245

Panel on left is original paint, on right, the wet sanded panel.
Latest correction 2012-04-14113311

Latest correction 2012-04-14113334

Before anyone comments, I am aware the wheels are dirty. This was purely about the correction and rejuvenation. The wheels are coming off in a couple of weeks so the arches will be getting a full dressing then.
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptySun Apr 15 2012, 00:30

top working going on there =]
matt
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
9''cock
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 167
Ride : .........
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptySun Apr 15 2012, 20:26

Cracking Results Smile
Back to top Go down
craigolfmk4
VAG Resident
craigolfmk4

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptyMon Apr 16 2012, 17:01

matt wrote:
top working going on there =]
matt

Welshv5er wrote:
Cracking Results Smile

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Luke_MK1
VAG Wales Moderator
Luke_MK1

Number of posts : 2679
Ride : Mk2 GTI - Citroen C5
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptyTue Apr 17 2012, 10:27

Looks amazing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.oes-uk.com
craigolfmk4
VAG Resident
craigolfmk4

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptyTue Apr 17 2012, 20:08

Luke_MK1 wrote:
Looks amazing!

Thanks Luke.
Back to top Go down
Ger
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 218
Ride : Golf MK4 GTTDI 130
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction EmptyFri Apr 20 2012, 18:41

lovely paintwork man great work Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Latest correction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest correction   Latest correction Empty

Back to top Go down

Latest correction
Page 1 of 1