VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me....Brown Sludge????

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
welshdubber69
Scene Mincer
welshdubber69

Number of posts : 679
Ride : 1969 baywindow + 1989 breadvan
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Help me....Brown Sludge???? Empty
PostSubject: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptySun Apr 05 2009, 18:31

hey everyone.

well my engine temp light has been flashing for a week now,

so i went to change my radiator coolant only to find a light brown sludge in the water resevoir!

WTF's happened????

please help

thanks

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.unit-13.com
BigGR5
Scene Mincer
BigGR5

Number of posts : 571
Ride : Mk1 Golf AFH, Audi A4 Tdi.
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptySun Apr 05 2009, 19:04

Sounds like a headgasket to me !

Have you checked under the oil cap for the dreaded mayonaise ?

Out of interest - why did you let it flash for a week ? Engine temp high ?
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

Number of posts : 1654
Ride : bahh
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptySun Apr 05 2009, 20:51

80% its the oil cooler as head gaskets seem to go the other way on those engines.

that is unless the engine is missing/smoking or steaming

got a cooler here if you need one to try, change the cooler fill your rad with non bio washin powder drive fpr about 10 miles then change the coolant again and see if you have any mixing
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptySun Apr 05 2009, 20:52

it`l be flashing because the switch in the tank is gunged up, i had it on a gtd a long time ago, by passed the switch!
Back to top Go down
welshdubber69
Scene Mincer
welshdubber69

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 05:14

"Out of interest - why did you let it flash for a week ? Engine temp high ?"

because it flashes now and again since i put new clocks in.

well i cleaned the water out and the light has stopped flashing. but the gunge is starting to form again! Crying or Very sad

i may try flushing the radiator out, the oil level was very low the other day almost empty so i topped it up, (burning oil????)

i'll go see a mechie today see what he thinks Sad

but thanks for your comments and i'll get in touch Ant about that oil cooler Very Happy thanks
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 07:04

personally id not bother with the hg until id tried the cooler, cos as i said the 8v engine mixes water to oil usually when the gasket goes... just sharing my wealth of knowledge.

if need be ben i can slap this part in the post mate if you are carless
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 07:07

ben when you say oil level was low "almost empty" do you mean nearly on minimum or not on the dipstick?
Back to top Go down
BigGR5
Scene Mincer
BigGR5

Number of posts : 571
Ride : Mk1 Golf AFH, Audi A4 Tdi.
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 12:14

Ah - I didnt realise the Mk2 had a level sensor, I thought you meant the water temp light had been flashing for a week lol

Sounds like Ant might have the answer Smile
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 12:54

yeah depending on the year the level sensor is either integrated into the bottle or screwed into the top, its just two probes that short out in water IIRC

8v`s always use a bit of water unless superbly maintained as they have dodgy plastic flanges and the expansion bottle cap seal on the newer cars are turd - so dont worry about the coolant loss.

and the oil loss really isn`t a huge issue as vw sate about 500km/litre - so unless it fails on emmisions or smokes like a trooper ignore and consumption
Back to top Go down
welshdubber69
Scene Mincer
welshdubber69

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 18:28

ok.....well it's a 1989 model G reg, flushed the system out proper this afternoon...with a hose pipe had it running for 10 minutes and the gunge hasn't come back, i still have the heater working and the engine doesn't overheat???
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyMon Apr 06 2009, 18:55

keep an eye on it ben, any oil contam will point to cooler.

dont buy one i have a vertically brand spanker ive been keeping
Back to top Go down
welshdubber69
Scene Mincer
welshdubber69

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyTue Apr 07 2009, 05:22

Thank you Sir..... Very Happy

well the mech i went to see yeasterday wasn't there his dad was though and he said it looks llike a HG! told him nit to be silly.....and that the heater's still working etc....he just scratched his head so i'll see the mech again.

how much would you want for the cooler?
Back to top Go down
lowrider
Scene Mincer
lowrider

Number of posts : 553
Ride : Mk1 golf, skyline drift machine!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyTue Apr 07 2009, 06:25

I cant see any reason why your heaters wouldnt work even if the head gasget was gone. As long as there is coolant in the system, regardless of whats in the coolant, and that coolant is circulating the system, then your heaters will work- head gasget gone or not.
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? EmptyTue Apr 07 2009, 09:56

there are bypass valves fitted to mk2s when the pressure builds up it cuts the heater matrix off (if they are still fitted) could this be the reasoning behind you saying the heaters are still working?

different cars/failures do different things a h/g failure may emulsify the coolant, pressurise the coolant, mix the water into the oil or mix either water or oil into combusion chamber.

but if the cars not over heating, building up excessive pressure in the coolant system or missing you know what my money is on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me....Brown Sludge????   Help me....Brown Sludge???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me....Brown Sludge????
Page 1 of 1