VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Castor toe and camber

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

Number of posts : 601
Ride : MK2F polo Saloon
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Castor toe and camber Empty
PostSubject: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 17:06

Tried to get my tracking done today and was told it was more thant racking...told i need Castor to and camber doing.Any idea where i can get this done for a decent price?
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

Number of posts : 271
Ride : mk1 golf gti, mk3 golf gti, mk4 golf 16v, mk5 golf fsi,
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 17:09

best place is meant to buckley tyres m8 but a bit far for you to go, dont know anywhere round bangor soz scratch
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 17:10

scottymk1 wrote:
best place is meant to buckley tyres m8 but a bit far for you to go, dont know anywhere round bangor soz scratch
aye tis a bit far
my tyres are getting worse every day,so thats why i want somewhere local.I know VW do it but i bet its not cheap...
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 17:13

tracking,caster, n camber normally around £70
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 17:16

scottymk1 wrote:
tracking,caster, n camber normally around £70
i was told around £80 by VW themselves,by someone who works there
will see what people suggest first...
Back to top Go down
MB_Dub
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 77
Ride : Mk3 Golf Variant
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 18:39

I paid about £75 at Bangor Tyres. Did a good job I think, car still pulls but must be bushes, is a lot better than it was. Although they had troubles with my lack of wheel gap so had to put the steels on. Rolling Eyes Somewhere local worth a look tho...
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 18:43

MB_Dub wrote:
I paid about £75 at Bangor Tyres. Did a good job I think, car still pulls but must be bushes, is a lot better than it was. Although they had troubles with my lack of wheel gap so had to put the steels on. Rolling Eyes Somewhere local worth a look tho...
there machine is fucked,one of the lazers is twatted lol
National tyres dont do it,ATS didnt have anything free all week.didnt try Kwik shiznit
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 18:52

after talking to someone on saxo sports(yes,about my golf)
he's told me the following
Quote :
Your Golf will only have front toe adjustment if it's on standard suspension.

And if there's +ve camber on a front wheel on standard suspension, it's not the tow, and it will be expensive.

Most garages will do the front toe, yell some places where you stay and find some
it is infact the TOE thats ballzed not the camber,its toe out on drivers side wheel
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

Number of posts : 1654
Ride : bahh
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 19:10

toe, alignment, tracking all the same thing... the angle the front two wheels make in relation to each other - golf 0 degrees apparently, but some track boys like playing with the toe to get better setups.

camber only goes out if something is seriously bent, or car is silly low (apparently never seen it myself).... this is the angle the side of wheel makes in relation to the ground - this can be adjusted slightly by loosening the shock to hub carrier bolts and setting using spirit level on the side of the wheel (cowboy method) - or if its been lowered lots by using a thinner bolt in the shock to hub carrier mount - but if only if your car is not silly low (-80 mm) otherwise no need...

castor is the angle the shocker makes perpendicular to the ground, longitudinally - the golf has no adjustment for this unless the topmouts are fancy track ones - no way for this to move unless your suspension is fucked - bushes, topmounts or something is bent.

a lot of tyre depots dont like old cars because generally everything is seized, so they give you some bollox similar to what you have experienced, you need to check all of your front suspension components for wear and replace if needed... then :-

*** eye up your front two wheels and see if they are pointing outwards, you will spot it - if so get a bit of string and get the gaps front/back of the wheels closer - this will save your tyres to no end. - i think me and luke also did it by putting a huge length of wood against the wheel and alighning it down the sills hahaha - getting a 0 degree...

seriously all these lazer gizmos do is the same sorta thing, but they get numbers and targets to make it simpler...
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 19:17

m8 i was a manager at lobitos tyres for 7years and what keith says is all spot on, take it to any decent tyre place and ask them to do 4 way laser wheel alignment and you should be sorted. let me know what the prob is and i might be able to help out more
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 19:30

keith,whats this stringy bizzzness you speak of?
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:13

m8 it is possible to do it with string, spirit level,wood n tape measure but £20 for laser alignment its not worth the bother cos its impossable to get it bang on like that Pikey
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:15

scottymk1 wrote:
m8 it is possible to do it with string, spirit level,wood n tape measure but £20 for laser alignment its not worth the bother cos its impossable to get it bang on like that Pikey
Hmmm there's a garage up the road from me,aint tried there yet
TOE cant be that hard can it?
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:18

tha hardest part is free'ing the nuts on the trackrod ends and getting things moving pretty easy after that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:21

scottymk1 wrote:
tha hardest part is free'ing the nuts on the trackrod ends and getting things moving pretty easy after that Very Happy
pass side track rod end ha sonly just been repalced...that make things any easyer?
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:26

that explains things now, when trackrod was done it sounds like it was not put back the right amount of turns, and its been left toe-ing out loads = your problem of tyres going bald in 2 days!!
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:28

scottymk1 wrote:
that explains things now, when trackrod was done it sounds like it was not put back the right amount of turns, and its been left toe-ing out loads = your problem of tyres going bald in 2 days!!
i thought the same the other day lol
nothing i cant sort Smile
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:32

hope you sorted soon m8, let me know how you get on, im always happy to help anyone if i can Wink
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:36

scottymk1 wrote:
hope you sorted soon m8, let me know how you get on, im always happy to help anyone if i can Wink
cheers fella PM'd Dan_mk1 as i know he;s handy with a MK2
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:56

have a read of this if your feeling lucky!!

http://alan.mcreynolds.googlepages.com/thestringmethodofwheelalignment

as i said i have 2 wheels here with vertually new tyres on too if needed, FOC as they are in the way
Back to top Go down
Martian
Scene Mincer
Martian

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 21:59

keith_lemon wrote:
have a read of this if your feeling lucky!!

http://alan.mcreynolds.googlepages.com/thestringmethodofwheelalignment

as i said i have 2 wheels here with vertually new tyres on too if needed, FOC as they are in the way
i aint feeling THAT lucky lol
will take it to locak garage and get them to sort toe or the trackrod out
Cheers anyways dude,i owe you a pint sometime
Back to top Go down
keith_lemon
VAG Whore

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 22:01

think i`ll have a string test on the weekend, even tho my tyres just wear due to sheer weight and grunt lol
Back to top Go down
scottymk1
VAG Resident
scottymk1

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 22:01

if you choose to do the old fashioned way then i sudgest you clamp the steering wheel central otherwise it may be wonky when u finnished (or get someone to hold it in place) when its done in a garage its clamped!!!!
Back to top Go down
Darkdub
VAG Resident
Darkdub

Number of posts : 486
Ride : THE DARKDUB
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber EmptyThu Jul 02 2009, 22:51

DIY ftw Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Castor toe and camber   Castor toe and camber Empty

Back to top Go down

Castor toe and camber
Page 1 of 1