VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I don't get show cars

Go down 
+10
StopWatchingTV
matt
PianoMan
Scirocco_oldboy
hodge112
Cymro
OwainMK1
tombombvw
20v-turbo
Sparky
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

Number of posts : 399
Ride : VW Golf GTI MK3 8V
Registration date : 2009-05-28

I don't get show cars Empty
PostSubject: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 11:36

I am prepared to be shot down here, but I don't get the whole show car thing. Why have a car that you cannot drive? and why have a polished engine, it's an engine FFS it's supposed to fairly dirty. Don't get me wrong some are nice but I'm a big fan of the standard look, coilies and nice rims and it's lovely car for me maybe only subtle other mods that enhance the look.

Am I the only one who thinks like this??? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 11:43

i dnt like people tht take their car to a show on a trailer, a car shud be driven ther, then washed

but i like the idea of a clean engine bay nd cean everything, but a car tht been trailered is a big no, unless they gt summit like an rs4 estate thts also thir show car then fair do Razz
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 11:49

For me a car is something that is meant to be driven and some show cars could no way be driven on the roads and some are just completely impracticable. I used to love a good show car but for some reason maybe getting old but I just don't see the point. Shocked
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 11:52

ye, but like some of the cars on our clubstand was like mint clean, the red mk3 on vagwales was absouloutly spotless nd tht had driven down, ud just have to go over the car with a comb Razz
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 12:21

Yeah I like the cars on here they are not over the top and showy they are how cars should be, shiney but they look like they are driven. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tombombvw
Keyboard Warrior
tombombvw

Number of posts : 249
Ride : mk4 golf
Registration date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 12:25

i agree, i dont like the show cars that arent used, as a car is made to be driven, but aslong as its tastful and driviable then i see nothing wrong with a good show car
Back to top Go down
http://www.bomberaudio.co.uk
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 12:28

i agree Razz
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 16:00

Yeah im with you on this mate, whats the point of chroming stuff underneath the car ? gearboxes ? Ffs whats the point. A car was designed to be driven after all.
Back to top Go down
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

Number of posts : 2222
Ride : Mk2 Polo "Fern", Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 16:16

A few came in on trailers on Saturday pale

One was that mk1 golf, think he drove it off the trailer indoors.
Back to top Go down
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

Number of posts : 1346
Ride : mk1 golf, lupo 1.4s, mk2 golf driver
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 16:22

i completely get show cars

i dont like trailer queens unless theres a valid reason, with the mk1 it cant be driven in bad weather as the underneath is painted the same as the top of the car, it does get driven daily in the summer though

id rather see a show car with someones heart and soul gone into it than some pikey styles car anyday tbh

persnal taste really, but no point having a car not to drive as its been said
Back to top Go down
Scirocco_oldboy
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 225
Ride : Scirocco
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 17:18

I sometimes trailer mine Laughing
my reasons are as follows
1/Don't like to put too much mileage on it plus its on a classic limited mileage insurance policy
2/ Not much fun trying to take friends or family any distance in a 20+ year old Coupe'
3/ Especialy don't like when there is salt on road
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

Number of posts : 792
Ride : Ibiza Mk2
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 18:29

If it's a classic as mentioned above by Scirocco boy, I get that. A classic car, insurance etc etc. But I totally agree with you, Sparky!
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 18:33

Yeah scriocco, I understand where your coming from, an the mk1 driver. Cos thats preserving a classic car, people will always want to see a pristine original car, with low mileage. Its like building a show home, an livin in a caravan, makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 18:40

mines driven quite well
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

Number of posts : 1346
Ride : mk1 golf, lupo 1.4s, mk2 golf driver
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 18:42

show car matt Razz
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 18:51

yes i know its a show car but i do use it for wat it was built for
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

Number of posts : 2222
Ride : Mk2 Polo "Fern", Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 19:03

I think a large majority of the ones at UD this year are daily drivers.
Back to top Go down
StopWatchingTV
VAG Resident
StopWatchingTV

Number of posts : 437
Ride : MK3 Gti 8v
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 22:38

I don't mind occasional trailering, if the roads are bad or it's bad weather, or like scirroccoboy said, salty Mad so long as they get driven sometimes. I undertand that you might want to store it for the winter aswel
Back to top Go down
themimoth
Scene Mincer
themimoth

Number of posts : 682
Ride : Skoda Fabia vrs. TDI CITI Golf, Golf Mk1 Campain
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 07:31

as above, having a spotless show car and driving it`s fine- demo cars are cool , anyone seen rojer clarke`s scooby? in a magazine shoot the bloke apologised for not washing the underneath since the last "time atack" lol to have mud in the wheel arches is unheard of Laughing but still gets hammered.
Back to top Go down
GezDub
Keyboard Warrior
GezDub

Number of posts : 67
Ride : Volkswagen Golf Mk3
Registration date : 2010-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 04:14

Show Cars ... I see the point in them and the thinking behind them as i'm sure everyone here likes to show off thier car and would prefer a car that gets noticed and people say wow about than an old bangor (unless thats the look your going for) and A car can be someones version of art and fair enough do what you want and show it off but as said before i have no idea why people think the Chav and Pikey look is good where people just buy anything and slap it on as long as its big!

But then again why have a car that just sits there.. if like sirrocco said about keeping it as pristine as possible then ok i really get that but i'd much rather a car that looks good and i can take it to car meets and stuff without having to look back through the rear view mirror at it.

Oh and i just want to say to anyone who has a strictly show car comes in a trailer goes in a trailer kinda ride . . . . . . Ok your car may look good, your car may have a 0-60 time to shame a race horse, it may have a top speed like a bullet and more horsepower than a stallion stampede but WHAT THE F*** DOES IT MATTER HOW FAST IT GOES OR HOW WELL IT HANDLES IF YOU'VE NEVER DRIVEN THE THING?????
Back to top Go down
BigGR5
Scene Mincer
BigGR5

Number of posts : 571
Ride : Mk1 Golf AFH, Audi A4 Tdi.
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 16:52

Pure show cars are a little bit pointless Imo but I can see where the owners are coming from - To them there not cars but exhibition pieces or works of art. Just like someone who has a steam engine or static model boat or something, cant be used for its original purpose but the owners still like to bring them out and show them off etc.
I find the show cars like Janets golf strange too - Massively specced engine (380BHP) but dosent get used to its full potential or even near it. When the cars actuall on the move it looks daft cos its covered up in blue tape to stop stone chips !

I prefer to have my Mk1 as a weekend/good weather car. I only use it when its nice or I'm taking it to shows, Its a treat and keeps it special to me.
Back to top Go down
REDLooP
VAG Wales Admin
REDLooP

Number of posts : 1184
Ride : 1.0 LUPO Low & Slow
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 17:09

BigGR5 wrote:

I find the show cars like Janets golf strange too - Massively specced engine (380BHP) but dosent get used to its full potential or even near it. When the cars actuall on the move it looks daft cos its covered up in blue tape to stop stone chips !

HAHAHA U dont know very much do u. Laughing

White tyres smoke an burning off Audi RS6's on the way back from edition.

That car does get used as its meant, maybe just not as much as otheres would use it.

afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't get show cars   I don't get show cars Empty

Back to top Go down

I don't get show cars
Page 1 of 1