VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...

Go down 
+3
OwainMK1
Crease!
stupidstu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

Number of posts : 18
Ride : MK1 golf (daily Zafira VXR)
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... Empty
PostSubject: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 10:32

Howdy all. Managed to get my hands on a mk1 golf 1.0l Florida blue thats been sat in a garage for about 10 years. Currently just starting to restore it. Can't decide what engine route to go down yet as wanna do it all myself rather then pay the £6000 all the garages want , but could do with a bit of guidance if anyone has done this. Am reasonably mechanically minded but am no electrical genius...

VR6 or 1.8T? Any advice greatfully recieved.

Am also after a windscreen if anyone happens to have one knocking around.. Wink

[img]Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... P021110_1030_01[/img][img]Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... P021110_1030[/img][img]Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... P021110_1031[/img]

Just been waxed as you can tell!!! Laughing

Doors and boot are all off and stripped now ready to start but unfortunately kids xmas presents take priority so i am told so not much gonna happen till after new year.
Back to top Go down
Crease!
Scene Mincer
Crease!

Number of posts : 873
Ride : Golf Mk1 & Mk4
Registration date : 2009-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 10:55

shit the bed, how longs that been in there?

what engine is in it now? what plans ahve u got?

looks good from what i can see, apart from that rear dent Sad
Back to top Go down
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 11:32

It did belong to a bloke who used to work at the same place as me but he died about ten years ago and its not been touched since. Gonna get all the body sorted and repaint it the same colour. Got the doors and boot at home stripped ready for prepping and they are in reasonable nick. Its currently a 1.0litre but wanna do a change to either VR6 or 1.8T but am gonna need some major help with this but garages want £6000 or more. Can do all the bodywork and respray myself so all my money can go on the engine and running gear....It's just where the hell do i start!!!! Rolling Eyes

Got it for free so can't complain. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Crease!
Scene Mincer
Crease!

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 11:54

ideal!! if u need a hand with engines or anything tbh, have a word with jamie at BJ motors in aberystwyth, hes a VW mechanic, put a 20vt into his cabby and a 19.tdi into his tintop

hes only a young lad, his own garage etc, have a word with him, even if its just advice!!

good luck!
Back to top Go down
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 12:26

Cheers mate.. Will give him a call

Hopefully gonna try and do updates and pics as it gets underway!!!
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 14:30

wow u jammy get, what a find ! personaly id go the 20vt route. Vr is just too heavy for a mk1.
Back to top Go down
Luke_MK1
VAG Wales Moderator
Luke_MK1

Number of posts : 2679
Ride : Mk2 GTI - Citroen C5
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 21:59

WOW looksss amazing Razz
TDI engine conversions in older cars are definately the way foreward, but a 1.1 standard lump all tarted up in this would be insane!

Welcome too, whats your daily?
WIll keep an eye out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.oes-uk.com
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 13:40

i know what i would put in the mk1 but thats my idea ill save it for my mk1 when i get one
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
Crease!
Scene Mincer
Crease!

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 16:22

Try fitting a B16A2 Engine in there Smile
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 17:17

dont put a 20vt in it

put either a tdi pd engine

or a vr6t Wink
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyFri Dec 10 2010, 19:23

vr6 too heavy for a mk1 rhys, it'll handle like a bag of shit, an a mk1 is all about handling cheers
Back to top Go down
dazmjuk
Keyboard Warrior

Number of posts : 73
Ride : Bora 2L Sport
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyFri Dec 10 2010, 19:25

Similar state to my mk1!!!

Goin to be great fun gettin sorted!!!

I considered the VR but as has been mentioned its a VERY heavy lump for the chassis etc. There are far better options out there. The TDi thing is cool, Greg Howells looked mint at edition.

The classic choice is the 16v lump. Similar power to the VR is in easy reach and they look awesome in the mk1 bay.
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptyFri Dec 10 2010, 19:31

fer enough ows, but vr6 is all about noise

rear engined vr6 .....ill stop with the vr6 now:( lol

20vt wd be good,
Back to top Go down
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptySat Dec 11 2010, 10:07

After a bit of investigating a lot of people say the same about the VR6 ruining the handling which as Owain said is what the Mk1 is all about but apparently there is a bloke called Vagabonds on another Mk1 golf forum who fabricates engine mounts to bolt straight on the 1.8t AGU engine and gearbox and straight to the MK1 mount so its just a case of moving the original mount to the big block position.

It all sounds so easy!!!!!!

Was considering leaving the 1 litre engine in stripping, rebuilding and polishing it all up but that will probably be just as much work... might just get it all painted up first coz i will probably change my mind again by then.

what sort of cruising speed would i expect from an 1litre engine, 60???
Back to top Go down
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptySat Dec 11 2010, 10:20

Forgot to mention,, if anyone has a project on the go or want some bits painting then let me know as thats what i do in my spare time pretty cheap!!

Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptySat Dec 11 2010, 10:44

hahah now you tell us u spray cars lmao

ive got 2 cars need spraying lmao,,, but audis getting rattled can for matt black

but ill cme back to u on my mk2 vr6 wen its time fr painting Razz
Back to top Go down
stupidstu
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptySat Dec 11 2010, 12:49

I know this is getting on a whole different topic but are you using cans on the whole car???

Is this for the matt black effect?
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... EmptySat Dec 11 2010, 14:10

im using cans tres of primer and 6 of matt/satin

ill be preping it properly like and flatting it back,

a mate of mines gt a bmer in matt black did it by can and looks stunning, just need to apply it in mist coats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...   Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi all.. mk1 golf garage find on the go...
Page 1 of 1