VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MK1 20v Turbo Conversion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GazzaBangor
Keyboard Warrior
GazzaBangor

Number of posts : 59
Ride : Black MKI GTI Convertible
Registration date : 2009-09-27

MK1 20v Turbo Conversion Empty
PostSubject: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 09:17

Can anyone provide me with a list of what I would require to carry out the conversion?

I am looking for a MK4 turbo engine - AGU.

Many Thanks
Back to top Go down
dan_mk1
Keyboard Warrior
dan_mk1

Number of posts : 222
Ride : mk2 1.8t daily, mk1 1.8t project
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 10:35

tbh mate the list is endless an with so many different ways of doin it...

http://www.qpeng.com/conversion_guide.html

qpeng's guide is a pretty good basic guide based on a mk2 but gives you the idea of whats involved.

With a mk1 you need to make or buy custom mounts an a d/pipe. Work out if you want to go oem management or expensive stand alone set up.

Same with g/box, old mk1 020 or mk3/4 cable shift with hydraulic clutch or seat cable conversion? more fabrication or expensive parts to buy Rolling Eyes

The engine side of my mk1 is all dun now, not in yet but all worked out an trial fitted, an now out ready for paintin.

http://www.vagwales.net/projects-f12/my-mk1-18t-project-t1309.htm

if you got any more questions feel free to ask or pm me but doin a list for you wud take forever mate!
Back to top Go down
GazzaBangor
Keyboard Warrior
GazzaBangor

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 11:40

Cheers Dan.

I was hoping to source a MK4 Golf Turbo. If I did, what percentage of the conversion would this give me??
Back to top Go down
dan_mk1
Keyboard Warrior
dan_mk1

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 17:42

a donor car wud give you most the bits you need. ecu, loom etc an you've got the option of gettin the immobiliser bypassed an ecu chipped together to make it easier an tidier.

You'd still need to piece together boost pipes but its easily done.

get an intercooler - merc sprinter fits nicely.

for aesy an cheap use the mk1 box an shafts with mk1 clutch an flywheel boltd to the 20v engine. Then you only need 1 eng mount not 3 mounts with 2 for the box.

But i can help with makin a hydraulic clutch set up for the mk4 box (wud be better)

Down pipe you can make up by chopin an weldin mk4 with some universal pipes/bends or lash out on custom qpeng 1

A donor car is the best startin point by miles tho an you can sell things you dont want to buy wot u do...
Back to top Go down
GazzaBangor
Keyboard Warrior
GazzaBangor

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 17:58

Nice one - Thanks for that. I have got an intercooler which shld be spot on! Just need the Engine, Box & Loom!!!
Back to top Go down
dan_mk1
Keyboard Warrior
dan_mk1

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 18:20

Gud luck mate! an give me a shout if you need a hand any time. I only know of 1 other mk1 20v thats actually bein built round here Shocked
Back to top Go down
GazzaBangor
Keyboard Warrior
GazzaBangor

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion EmptySun Sep 27 2009, 18:21

Nice one - Thanxs for that! Will keep a post on the forum once the main parts have been sourced!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MK1 20v Turbo Conversion   MK1 20v Turbo Conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

MK1 20v Turbo Conversion
Page 1 of 1