VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

best polish to use

Go down 
+9
Sparky
REDLooP
20v-turbo
Owain_Bora_TDI
Cymro
Vyizis
matt
OwainMK1
vwlupo
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

Number of posts : 279
Ride : Very low & slow Lupo
Registration date : 2010-03-22

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:17

hi any pointers on the best polish to use for my red lupo and any help on best stuff for washing car with
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:19

mega threads on this issue in detailing section dude. Vpolo, redloop an hodge know more about polish than meguiars themselves lol
Back to top Go down
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:22

o ok thanks a have look nwcheers
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

Number of posts : 3456
Ride : lupo gti with a bit of a kick
Registration date : 2008-02-03

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:25

i use chem guys all in one polish its good for general polishing but it depends on the condition of your paint alway dont forget to jetseal it and cover it with a nice wax Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.vagwales.net
Vyizis
Keyboard Warrior
Vyizis

Number of posts : 151
Ride : Corrado :)
Registration date : 2008-12-01

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:36

Dodo juice lime prime for polishing and hard candy wax over the top Smile Its alot of work but looks amazing in the end!
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:38

lime prime is to clense the paint before wax isnt it ?
and i use purple haze Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:59

well at the mo av jst bin using coulor magic its ok bt a want a better shine on the car
Back to top Go down
Vyizis
Keyboard Warrior
Vyizis

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyTue Mar 23 2010, 23:59

Lime prime lite is just a cleanser, the normal lime prime has micro abrasives so polishes too! Any of there waxes are good, hard candy is easier to work with than purple haze as its a hard wax!
Back to top Go down
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

Number of posts : 2222
Ride : Mk2 Polo "Fern", Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
Registration date : 2008-03-26

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:09

Most of us have a mountain of products.

Dodo Juice stuff is comes highly recommended.

i use Smart Polish
Then jetseal
followed by collonite wax or Dodo Juice Banana Armour.

As for washing ive given up on Megs Gold Class after washing at UD i noticed it left an oily layer on everything. now its Dodo Juice born to be mild or Chem Guys Extreme W&W
Back to top Go down
vwlupo
VAG Resident
vwlupo

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:12

ok well ill have to invest in sum new polish and sum wax then wheres the best place to gt the wax an polish frm an thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Owain_Bora_TDI
VAG Resident
Owain_Bora_TDI

Number of posts : 397
Ride : Bora TDI
Registration date : 2010-02-24

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:21

fairy liquid and warm water.. my mums green scouring pad and a nice rough wire brush for the wheels
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:22

not nice to take the piss out of people haha

fairy liquid is known to help paint fade quiker haha
Back to top Go down
Owain_Bora_TDI
VAG Resident
Owain_Bora_TDI

Number of posts : 397
Ride : Bora TDI
Registration date : 2010-02-24

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:25

and what did u use as polish again rhys?? wd40? oh yeah thats the one! dik'ed!
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:26

i used it as a source of wax actaully loool

but it did mke my golf more pyurple haha instant pearlecent haha
Back to top Go down
matt
The Guv'nor
matt

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:33

Vyizis wrote:
Lime prime lite is just a cleanser, the normal lime prime has micro abrasives so polishes too! Any of there waxes are good, hard candy is easier to work with than purple haze as its a hard wax!
you got them the wrong way round purple haze is the soft wax for darker paint and hard candy is hard wax
matt
Back to top Go down
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:42

cleanyourcar.com

but we do use other places too.

Rhys: dont forget to push the sponge right to the bottom of the bucket.

Vpolo: think that he means hard candy is easier to work with because its a hard wax.
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:48

haha i know im retarded for doing tht lol but it mde the car really shiny (greasy/oily haha )

but i know what im doing wen washing a car now, nd i dnt think iv ever been dumb enough to do the sponge thing
Back to top Go down
Vyizis
Keyboard Warrior
Vyizis

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 00:54

Cymro wrote:

Vpolo: think that he means hard candy is easier to work with because its a hard wax.

I did, too sleepy to use English properly...
Back to top Go down
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 01:09

20v-turbo wrote:
haha i know im retarded for doing tht lol but it mde the car really shiny (greasy/oily haha )

but i know what im doing wen washing a car now, nd i dnt think iv ever been dumb enough to do the sponge thing

WD40 did what megs Gold class does, when i spoke to the Dodo guys at UD they said it was due to the Silicone that megs use just so it looks good straight after washing. Neutral
Back to top Go down
REDLooP
VAG Wales Admin
REDLooP

Number of posts : 1184
Ride : 1.0 LUPO Low & Slow
Registration date : 2008-05-12

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 09:18

I use the victoria wax stuff on mine usually, shame i havnt really bothered with it much this year. So it's gone a lil pink.

Victoria wax do a concourse wax that is a red colour and really works well with warm colour cars.

Aslong as u do atleast 6 layers it will last and look better than most, 3 layers is good enough tbh.

I use megs if im just washing it as it does leave a this waxy layer, but if ur gonna detail after the was best to use the same branded shampoo and cleaners as your wax.
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

Number of posts : 399
Ride : VW Golf GTI MK3 8V
Registration date : 2009-05-28

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 11:37

I have actually witnessed cars where someone has us one of those wire scourers to get flies off the front of their car and wire brushed wheels to get rid of brake dust.

I'm thinking of investing in a wax so recommendations on what wax would make Storm Grey look awesome are very much appreciated. I think I will be using Autosmart platinum polish unless I get myself shopping for a better polish.
Back to top Go down
REDLooP
VAG Wales Admin
REDLooP

Number of posts : 1184
Ride : 1.0 LUPO Low & Slow
Registration date : 2008-05-12

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 11:43

Dodo juice's purple haze would work well, but a white/clear wax like supernatural or collonite will work well with the grey colour better.

Purple haze will give u a slightly darker layer on the car, and doesnt always work best for the grey colours especially if its a metalic or flec
Back to top Go down
technique
VAG Wales Admin
technique

Number of posts : 2437
Ride : MK4 R32 - Breaking MK3 GTI / VR6
Registration date : 2008-02-22

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 12:31

Like Matt said polishing depends on the condition of the paint.

You do not get 1 for all polish.

To polish start from a course polish working up through the grades until you can then move onto glazes and sealants.

I use the following method if i am detailing, once every 3-6 months only.

Prep and clean;
Wash
Clay bar and detailing spray
Wash again

Polish;
For dull / swirl marked paint you may want to go through the polishing stages (look at menzerna sampler kit).

For paint in good condition you may just want to do a final stage polish or use meguires paint cleaner / Carlack.

Glaze/gloss;

Also really a final polishing stage, i use Chemical Guys mirror glaze.

Sealant;

Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 (nuff said)

Wax;

There is so many out there for different colours etc. I use Collinite as it is really hard wearing and ideal for daily drivers. You can always top up with another high end wax 50/50, supernatural etc.

Other than that a clean with a wax safe shampoo and a wipe down with a qucik detailer is all you need on a weekly basis.

Do yourself a big favour and bin the colour magic asap, you will be constantly cutting the paint and leaving a layer of colourant which will fade in the sun.
I know this guy with red beemer and his spoiler kept fading but he polished it with colour magic once every 2 weeks. We went through a 3 stage polish then wax and it hasn't faded since, and it hasn't been touched since.

Hope this helps

Nath
Back to top Go down
xkarinx
Scene Mincer
xkarinx

Number of posts : 676
Ride : Polo 6n2 GTi, Lupo 1.4s
Registration date : 2009-04-23

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 16:36

Good guide Nath Smile

Yeah it depends if you've got bad swirl marks and stuff, and if you wanna get rid of them, then look at getting one of the kits on clean your car for example

Then I usually use blackhole/EZ glaze, that kind of thing

Then Jet Seal

And tbh, what wax you use isn't that important. What you use depends on how much protection you want really, afterall it's the polish that makes it shiny Razz

I've used Pete's 53 and Supernatural on mine

Then for washing I use Dodo Juice sour power and Dodo Juice quick detailer after washing

There's plenty of guides and what not about too
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

Number of posts : 792
Ride : Ibiza Mk2
Registration date : 2009-07-13

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use EmptyWed Mar 24 2010, 19:38

I use a lot of Autoglym products (although some can be a little chalky), Mer, Meguiars, Simoniz and Autosmart Mirror Image, which is the BOMB as far's I'm concerned. I have a red car too mate, so yeah - if you have any faded bits, the Mer all rounder polish (in a blue, square container) is good for oxidised paint etc. Autoglym's SRP (super Resin Polish), EGP (Extra Gloss protection), etc are good for maintaining a shine, but remember to top / seal it all off with a decent wax. Also - SRP if I remember correctly, claims that it removes swirl marks, but it doesn't, it kinda fills them? But as I said - Mirror Image (found on Fleabay by an awesome guy who's a valeter who sells it to you in bottles, that's really good stuff. A few off another forum use it, and there's a stunning Ibiza GTi which uses it often, so it's some good stuff!) To think that I was pretty cynical about it initially, thinking he was putting some any old sh*t into bottles, I was wrong!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

best polish to use Empty
PostSubject: Re: best polish to use   best polish to use Empty

Back to top Go down

best polish to use
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next