VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cymro
VAG Wales Admin
Cymro

Number of posts : 2222
Ride : Mk2 Polo "Fern", Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) Empty
PostSubject: Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor)   Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) EmptyWed Jul 08 2009, 10:40

Parts needed

VW repair panel - 867 803 785 and its only £8.81 + vat (£10.35)
2x 8mm x75 length bolts or similar £2max ( you can go 10mm but i means drilling out more material)
middle rear bump stop rubber optional (i missed it out as it does feck all but you can fit it if you like).
2 new back box exhaust rubbers £2max
4x 8mm penny washers £1max

Tools Needed

a hack saw
electric drill + drill bits small, medium then a 8mm (or 10 to match the bolts you bought)
angle grinder (quickest way to get the old hooks off)
heat gun or hairdryer to melt the underseal.
bit of wood to fit in the middle of the hanger to drill it so it doesnt bend
a large file and a wee circle file (not essential but saves cutting your fingers or mr MOT mans).

Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010005-2

new bits: vw panel, rear exhaust, 2 "O" rings and mid box one and a few long bolts (only need 2 of them)
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010006-1

panel before on left and as modified on right.
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010008

then i grinded off the remaining leg on the car and heat gunned all the underseal on the sides of the original panel, but not on the floor so it remains sealed or you will just open it up to water attack, and then drilled holes through it so it looks like this: (file the edges till they are smooth)
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010010-2

then its a case of drill the VW panel to match and file the holes
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010009-1

then its a nice push up and bolt through operation (may require some hammer time action! nod.gif ).
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010011-2

I chose to double nut it so its locked and cant go anywhere or vibrate loose
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010012-1

then i put the "O" rubbers in a old tea pot with water and boiled them for about 5 min so they were lovely and soft. then they slide on nicely. and jobs a good un! cool.gif
Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor) P1010013-2

(Thanks to GenesisGT on Clup Polo)

Last edited by Cymro on Wed Jul 08 2009, 11:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title Layout)
Back to top Go down

Mk2/3 Polo Exhaust Hanger Replacement guide. (Without Welding or drilling the floor)
Page 1 of 1