VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jij_mellow_yellow
Scene Mincer
jij_mellow_yellow

Number of posts : 989
Ride : pug power!!
Registration date : 2008-12-21

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Empty
PostSubject: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment EmptyWed Jul 08 2009, 11:54

Ok then here goes. I wanted to refurbish my alloys wheels on my corsa( i know Embarassed ) They wern't to bad some little scuffs/kurbing and lacquer peel.

Here's the wheel before i worked my magic on them..

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Picture027

First step:Mask the tyres, ( For better result get the tyres removed ) Sand all down with 80 grit wet and dry, fill dents, scratches, kerbing etc ( I used david's isopon filler from motorworld, You can pick some up from your local halfords), sand 80, then 240.

You should then have something that looks like this..

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Picture030-1

** clean wheel like mad before you do the next stage! ** (sugar soap spray is good at removing dirt and grime, or clean in the bath, but be careful not to mark / knacker your bath!)

Second step: Spray with hi-build primer, You could use just normal primer if you were just re-spraying your alloys: (1 light caot, 10min wait, 1 heavy coat, 10 min wait, 1 heavy coat - same process for all spraying: primer, paint, lacquer)

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Picture029-1

Allow the paint to dry over night.

Third step: Sand wet (with some washing up liquid) 1000 wet n dry, then you can spray with your desired spray paint( I used spray can's from halfords to do mine but for better result's use a spray gun:

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Picture026

Allow to dry for about 45mins then you can applay the lacquer:( i forgot to take a pic at this part but i do have a after pic..

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Picture028-1

Hope that's help for some people

jij_mellow_yellow
Back to top Go down
technique
VAG Wales Admin
technique

Number of posts : 2437
Ride : MK4 R32 - Breaking MK3 GTI / VR6
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment EmptyWed Jul 08 2009, 16:19

cool guide mate, i may have to do my TT's at some point either that or powder coat.
Back to top Go down
jij_mellow_yellow
Scene Mincer
jij_mellow_yellow

Number of posts : 989
Ride : pug power!!
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment EmptyWed Jul 08 2009, 20:17

technique wrote:
cool guide mate, i may have to do my TT's at some point either that or powder coat.

Powder coat will be a better opsion overall but if your looking after the pennies then just DIY it.
Back to top Go down
Luke_MK1
VAG Wales Moderator
Luke_MK1

Number of posts : 2679
Ride : Mk2 GTI - Citroen C5
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment EmptySat Aug 08 2009, 21:30

Give the paint bit ago today on my old wheels, to show a mate who seems to think i am the ultimate car person, because i do useless things to my car

The shiny stuff is Chem guys trim Gel to finish the clean look (had dirty tyres otherwise)

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment DSC00529
Back to top Go down
http://www.oes-uk.com
stickygreen
VAG Wales Admin
stickygreen

Number of posts : 1038
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti , Bora Tdi ::Unit-13[dot]com::
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment EmptyMon Aug 10 2009, 10:36

Those fox wheels off your john deer jij? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.unit-13.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment   DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurbishment
Page 1 of 1