VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

Number of posts : 792
Ride : Ibiza Mk2
Registration date : 2009-07-13

HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? Empty
PostSubject: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 20:58

Mk2 Ibiza, 1.4 (ABD) - it's had a new gearbox, clutch and 2 new clutch cables BEFORE a new clutch - as that one was heavy. SO basically it's all new under there... clutch went, new clutch, gearbox 2 months later, then that was replaced. But it's pretty heavy now. why the hell is that?... Some Polos have beautiful clutches, light. Mine's pretty notchy and crap bascailly. Rolling Eyes ...any suggestions as to why this may be? It's just rather unpleasent to drive at times that's all. Tends to get heavier after about 1/2 hours driving... It's okish till then. Help lol...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

Number of posts : 669
Ride : MK4 Golf R32
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 21:48

What clutch did you replace it with? I'm not very techincally minded, but when I changed the clutch on my old Polo I upgraded to a Sachs clutch and it muuuuuch better than standard.
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 21:54

eerrmmm... I'm on the same boat here mate... just a standard new one. Took it to a garage (Ceir Cymru) not that that's of any significant relevance... but yeah. So how much did the Sachs clutch cost? I think my engine is the 1.4 out of the Mk3 Golf... so is that the same as far as you know? Smile
Back to top Go down
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

Number of posts : 1346
Ride : mk1 golf, lupo 1.4s, mk2 golf driver
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 21:57

could it be pedal box related?

cant remember if there the same as the polos but isnt it a common on the polo?

just a thought
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 21:59

Nah the pedal box seems to be fine you know, no movement at all - appart from up and down obvs. Looked for any wear or sheering of the welds, and it's fine Neutral ...

The only clutch from a Polo I've tried was azzajones'... and it was really light! That was cable too, but it felt really nice!... strange! Any ideas? Sounds pretty shiznit too at times, as if the release bearing or something's worn... ALREADY!
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:02

PianoMan wrote:
eerrmmm... I'm on the same boat here mate... just a standard new one. Took it to a garage (Ceir Cymru) not that that's of any significant relevance... but yeah. So how much did the Sachs clutch cost? I think my engine is the 1.4 out of the Mk3 Golf... so is that the same as far as you know? Smile

I paid £98.69 for the clutch (just dug it out from a massive pile of receipts Laughing ) from http://www.eurocarparts.com . That was for a Polo GTi, so I'm not sure if the price will vary from car to car. If I remember correctly it wasn't listed on their web site so I had to phone them. It was a big difference over standard though, much lighter.
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:05

awesome mate! Thanks!... yeah mine's rubbish tbh - creeks when I bring it up, sounds crap in 4th gear... I know underneath that my engine sounds alrite - it's just what it turns outside itself that makes it sound crappy! Did you fit it yourself??
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:06

PianoMan wrote:
awesome mate! Thanks!... yeah mine's rubbish tbh - creeks when I bring it up, sounds crap in 4th gear... I know underneath that my engine sounds alrite - it's just what it turns outside itself that makes it sound crappy! Did you fit it yourself??

Nah, luckily I knew someone who did it cheap for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:10

lucky begger! Razz... hmm well I don't know if Im allowed to put links on this? buut - interesting, what's the difference between 1st and 2nd kit?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Seat_Ibiza_1.4_1995/p/Car-Parts/Transmission/Clutch-and-Associated-Parts/Clutch-kits
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:25

PianoMan wrote:
lucky begger! Razz... hmm well I don't know if Im allowed to put links on this? buut - interesting, what's the difference between 1st and 2nd kit?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Seat_Ibiza_1.4_1995/p/Car-Parts/Transmission/Clutch-and-Associated-Parts/Clutch-kits

There might be 2 different gearbox codes, I'm sure that was the case with the Polo. Best bet is to try and find that out, or maybe phone them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:26

Thanks a lot mate! So you're pretty confident that this might be the solution? was it considerably lighter?
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:30

PianoMan wrote:
Thanks a lot mate! So you're pretty confident that this might be the solution? was it considerably lighter?

I wouldn't like to tell you that it will definitely sort your problem out, as I said, I'm not very technically minded Laughing . But yes, after changing to this clutch it was considerably lighter, no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:32

Thanks mate! Smile I'll soon find out anyway! Thanks for all your help!

P.S - your car's AWESOME! I envy you a LOT! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CymruR32
VAG Wales Admin
CymruR32

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:33

Haha, cheers Very Happy

Good luck with it, let me know if it sorted it out!
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyWed Sep 23 2009, 22:34

Will do mate! Thanks again Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_Irish
Scene Mincer
Chris_Irish

Number of posts : 879
Ride : Mk3 Golf GTI/Mk2 Scirocco GT
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 17:01

The first clutch, the cheaper one is the one for your car. They diff on engine codes mate. To be honest if it *is* your clutch the old one should still be under warranty depending which make they fitted. I'd take it some were and have somebody look at it before you start buying new clutches. Sachs are VW OE as is LUK so either of those brands should be bang on the money. Was the gearbox re-conned? Re-con gearboxs, esp if they came from Black Diamond aren't up to alot.
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 18:22

what do you mean aren't up to a lot? Yeah it was re-conditioned...got it for £120 I think + all labour costs etc. One thing that's wrong with it though, is - in neutral it doesnt spring back when I rock it to the left when rocking it from side to side... it does on the right. Uch lol. Who do you recommend to have a look at it for me? Don't really want to take it to a garage - rip offs tbf, but only trying to make money, I know blah blah ...

Thanks for the info about the clutch btw Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_Irish
Scene Mincer
Chris_Irish

Number of posts : 879
Ride : Mk3 Golf GTI/Mk2 Scirocco GT
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 18:24

We deal (and try not to deal) with Black Diamond in work, they are cheap, but the amount of hassle with "reconditioned" boxs going back to them under warranty is un-real. I know a couple of the lads from Vag-h20 had similar problems with the gearboxs they did.

£120 sounds really cheap, are you sure the Gearbox wasn't 2nd hand?
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 18:27

Nah don't think it was... it was a re-cond. one from Chesterfield.Think it was someithng like £238 all togethor in the end... So what do you recommend that I do? Smile
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 18:38

should've joined this ages ago! I'm sure you lot would've pushed me onto the right track, and my car would be running much sweeter than it is lol Mad
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 19:47

Dont worry bout it dude, when you hear a bang, then think about replacing stuff. Well thats my philosophy ! lol
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 19:50

haha funny that you should say that... when I take off to the right - I hear a bit of a knocking sound when I'm steered to the right... weird Surprised
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 19:52

What from standstill ? on full or partial lock ?
Back to top Go down
PianoMan
Scene Mincer

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 19:53

yeah on a partial hill / partial lock.
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? EmptyThu Sep 24 2009, 19:54

Cv joint maby ? the knock they make are more obvious on full lock tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?   HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem? Empty

Back to top Go down

HEAVY Clutch. any one else have this problem?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next