VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need some advice on a project!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Need some advice on a project!! Empty
PostSubject: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyMon Nov 02 2009, 22:09

hi everyone , im kind of debating between minds of what project i would like to do

iv got my own car as a project all ready but i want a second one but a full on one, engine transplant and body modification, the works, so im debating on weather to by a donor car, my choice being a golf mk1, scirocco mk1, polo mk2 coupe, but what tempting me is the polo coupe as it is very light and the engine bay has potential to fit a 8v gti engine in it, plus also you can pick up a polo coupe of the internet for around 300 pounds and that being one in good condition.

so my plan would to strip the car of everything, and start from scratch, try to fit a mk2 gti interior dash and clocks,then there would be no need to splice the engine wiring loom, it would be basically getting the gti engine and loom and putting it into the monococ of the coupe

then with the body i would use the mk2 golf subframes to mount the engine, also giving the car a very wide look, but then i would need to re do the suspension, and then the anti roll bars and of course widen the arches, but ive herd all of this is possible, but im debating weather i should or not, ....... any ideas please Razz
Back to top Go down
Perry GT
Keyboard Warrior
Perry GT

Number of posts : 169
Ride : mk2 polo GT
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 16:07

lots money for small gain dude,

id go for G smiles straight forward swap in polo coupe. im runnin mk2 polo running mk3 GT 1.3 check my build thread
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 16:29

yea, but i wanted something different, my m8ts got a polo nd he thinks its gt a gt engine in it cus its gt multipoint on it, what sort of power is a 1.3 gt engine put out ?
Back to top Go down
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

Number of posts : 1346
Ride : mk1 golf, lupo 1.4s, mk2 golf driver
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 16:38

theres two multipoint polo engines, the gt engine and the nz engine

i think the nz is around 55bhp could be wrong and the gt engine is 75bhp HTH
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 17:09

yea, thts not bad, but i think i wud try to do the gti conversion into it or try bike carbs :s cause what ive heard all you really need is a full gti car as a donor car and then just shome metal and a good wlder for qualifications
Back to top Go down
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 17:25

meant to be a very tricky swap....

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=102660

could always go for a 1.6 8v AEE engine
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 17:28

i like Razz if sumone can fit a 20v t, im sure an 8v gti will fit as the exaust and inlets are on same side (for sum stupid reason) allowing a bit more room Razz
Back to top Go down
hodge112
VAG Whore
hodge112

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 17:32

theres one way to find out lol....
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 17:35

yea, theres a scrap yard where i live so it wud be easy to source parts from there (theres 2 gti mk2 there, but id get the engine and gearbox from a m8 or ebay, as their quite cheep) but i am debatig on what to do first lol :s

i want to do a few bits to my daily driver first though, as i am looking 4 a job now nd tht then shud be able to fund my little project lol hopefully
Back to top Go down
Perry GT
Keyboard Warrior
Perry GT

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 20:27

GT's are very tunable easy get them around 90bhp plus with lil money.
biggest restriction is the airbox i think.

problems with GTi engine is its a tall block.

so the engine will weight more

put it this way power to weight ratio:

100bhp at 750kg = 133bhp
120ish bhp(gti engine isnt it) at say 800-850kg is roughly the same.

so all that time an effort for not much,

ive upset a a few gti 8vs in mine top end they get me.

if that makes sense?

cheers
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 20:31

i understand yea .,,,,, they should of mde the engine out of an alloy like the 20v t lol,

maybe a 1.6 16v out of the mk4 wud fit, it gt sme power as a gti, but its an aloy made engie, but the wiring will become a bigger bitch then

thin i might look into the gt engine and try looking 4 a supercharger conversion maybee?
Back to top Go down
Perry GT
Keyboard Warrior
Perry GT

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyWed Nov 04 2009, 23:07

lol again massive job superchargering a GT engine as the compression

they did a G40 which is basacilly a GT engine super chargered but with all the compression changed an alll the other bollocks lol

but there getting expensive nowadays.

cant go wrong with GT engine cheap an nippy easy to fix an tune

when mines all sorted ill take you for a spin at the next meet?
Back to top Go down
StopWatchingTV
VAG Resident
StopWatchingTV

Number of posts : 437
Ride : MK3 Gti 8v
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 12:41

Was yours the GT next to Martian's saloon at Colwyn Bay? It was very nice.
I reckon mines probably the NZ then, but I couldn't find any mention of it in my owners manual, that's why I assumed that someone had put a GT in it... I'm a bit gutted really, so I'm after a GT or a G40 engine now Smile
Back to top Go down
Perry GT
Keyboard Warrior
Perry GT

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 16:38

nah no1 seen my mk2 GT in the flesh yet will soon tho, i used to own the black GT at the vagwales meets think a lad called tristan owns it.

now miss that car Sad

aint the nz single point?
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 17:09

nice lol Razz

we need to know what toms bloody cars engines gt lol its confused him, im pretty shure its just normal, cus apprantly on a link ive seen, all 1.3 injections from 89 onwards was multipoint :s
Back to top Go down
Perry GT
Keyboard Warrior
Perry GT

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 17:45

get a pic up ill soon tell you and so will cymro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on a project!!   Need some advice on a project!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on a project!!
Page 1 of 1