VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff

Go down 
+5
Sparky
azrobz
technique
20v-turbo
nutter
9 posters
AuthorMessage
nutter
Keyboard Warrior
nutter

Number of posts : 43
Ride : VW Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 04 2010, 16:47

Hi everyone,

Would really like to know what i should be aiming for economy wise? I reckon i should be geting 35mpg approx thats inbetween town driving and open a road.

Also what are the commen faults with them? Ive sorted out the problem with the throttle body where the car would stall.

Cheers

Jade.
Party
Back to top Go down
20v-turbo
VAG Legend
20v-turbo

Number of posts : 3559
Ride : mk3 16v, mk3 8v, tt 225, a4 20v, mk2 20vt blah blah
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 04 2010, 17:42

in my mk2 8v i averaged 38.8 driving to the speed limmit Razz

23mpg when ha,mmering it

but towns nd traffic it was 11mpg Sad
Back to top Go down
technique
VAG Wales Admin
technique

Number of posts : 2437
Ride : MK4 R32 - Breaking MK3 GTI / VR6
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 04 2010, 22:17

i have been getting 35-36 on a 30 mile run
Back to top Go down
azrobz
Keyboard Warrior
azrobz

Number of posts : 179
Ride : Vw mk3 golf 16v Anni
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyFri Mar 05 2010, 01:09

on average id say 35
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

Number of posts : 399
Ride : VW Golf GTI MK3 8V
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyFri Mar 05 2010, 09:42

azrobz wrote:
on average id say 35

Yeah mine averages 35mpg on the A55 at say 69mph at 3000rpm and averages around 25mpg driving around town. It's all about how you drive it and driving really smooth and thinking ahead so you don't have to brake.
Back to top Go down
nutter
Keyboard Warrior
nutter

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyFri Mar 05 2010, 16:47

Ive read that the onboard computers read wrong.

Any faults with the engines as such? Apart from being the retarded 8v lol
Back to top Go down
Sparky
VAG Resident
Sparky

Number of posts : 399
Ride : VW Golf GTI MK3 8V
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyFri Mar 05 2010, 20:04

Mine is running sweet and it's done 112K but it has had regular services to keep it on the button.
Back to top Go down
hank chinaski
Fresh Meat
hank chinaski

Number of posts : 12
Ride : Golf GTi MK3
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 01:07

Sparky wrote:
Mine is running sweet and it's done 112K but it has had regular services to keep it on the button.
Hello everyone I'm new on here and have been the proud owner of a red Golf GTi mk3 1998, ( much like the one pictured),since last May after shelling out just £760 indeed he could be Juliet to your Romeo but he's not he's Terry and he's mine. Since then we have had a harmonious relationship including a 4,000 mile 9 week odyssey round France, Spain, Andorra, Monaco and Italy. The only problem I encountered on the entire journey was a 'dry' CV joint which was quickly greased and off we went again. Anyway onto the point, which is, I get around 40-42mpg on the motorway doing 70-75mph though this drops sharply if I step it up to 80-90mph, maybe 30-32mpg. This drops again driving round the 'estate' where I reside what with the speed bumps stop start bullshit to contend with and anything between 22-28 mpg is the norm.Not bad considering 'Terry' has done 162,500 miles and is still going strong, however, lately he has been stalling and actually tonight cut-out completely whilst I on a pretty busy main road and refused to start until the 'usual' happened. The usual being the rev counter needle jumping with an audible click turn the key and off we go. Would you know if this could possibly be related to the throttle body problem you mentioned encountering? If so could you tell me how this is fixable please? as it is doing my head in along with the local mechanic who is baffled and my wallet who says no to a trip to the local dealership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and great site by the way. Cheers Jonathan.
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 02:00

Sounds like a relay that mate, well knows on mk3's. Dont know which one is at fault tho, sumone on ere would know.
Back to top Go down
hank chinaski
Fresh Meat
hank chinaski

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 08:14

OwainMK1 wrote:
Sounds like a relay that mate, well knows on mk3's. Dont know which one is at fault tho, sumone on ere would know.
Thanks for that mate I'll check it out today and hopefully that's that!
Back to top Go down
hank chinaski
Fresh Meat
hank chinaski

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 08:16

OwainMK1 wrote:
Back to top Go down
nutter
Keyboard Warrior
nutter

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 13:00

id be interested in knowing this too please. Just incase mine starts to do it.

Mine did stall when slowing down but that was due to the throttle body needing a clean. Went to halfords bought some stuff to clean it with wipped the air intake pipe off and openned and shut the throttle body while cleaning it and worked perfect since.
Back to top Go down
timmy_b_vr6
VAG Resident
timmy_b_vr6

Number of posts : 478
Ride : golf vr6
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 13:27

my average is bout 25-28 dual carige way speeds but if i gun it ive had to dwn to bout 15, although sayin that waitin in a car wash once i had it dwn to 6 lol
Back to top Go down
technique
VAG Wales Admin
technique

Number of posts : 2437
Ride : MK4 R32 - Breaking MK3 GTI / VR6
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 14:36

hank chinaski wrote:
OwainMK1 wrote:

It might be the ignition coil, my 8v did the same thing on the passat.
Back to top Go down
Chris_Irish
Scene Mincer
Chris_Irish

Number of posts : 879
Ride : Mk3 Golf GTI/Mk2 Scirocco GT
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 18:17

Fuel pump relay.

Mine does high 30s when I'm not hammering her, Most I ever seen is 50mpg when I nurse it. Lowest is 12 when I was fully smashing the speed limit.

Fuel Pump relay, coils are common to go, the throttle body getting coked up, and the surrounding breathers.

Give the throttle body and clean with some carb cleaner, and surrounding oil breather pipes and that should help.
Back to top Go down
hank chinaski
Fresh Meat
hank chinaski

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 19:22

Chris_Irish wrote:
Fuel pump relay.

Mine does high 30s when I'm not hammering her, Most I ever seen is 50mpg when I nurse it. Lowest is 12 when I was fully smashing the speed limit.

Fuel Pump relay, coils are common to go, the throttle body getting coked up, and the surrounding breathers.

Give the throttle body and clean with some carb cleaner, and surrounding oil breather pipes and that should help.

Thanks everyone for the advice and special thanks to Owain for his tip about it maybe being one of the relays. I went to the local scrappy this morning and got a ECU relay and half a dozen others, (gratis), and consulted the 'Bible', (Haynes Manual), and found said relay is number 15 in their helpful fusebox diagram. For easier access I removed the seat belt control relay, (no.36), which is below the ECU relay, (no.30), and it was corroded quite badly so I replaced the 2 of them, after a clean and a quick spray of WD-40 I was away. I drove to Newport a round trip of about 100 miles and can report no troubles at all, no stalling, nothing. In fact it's the best Terry has driven for awhile and after a cautious outward journey I absolutely hammered it back...great.
Owain your advice is much appreciated and I did take your tip to visit golfgtiforum and they stated that the original ECU relay had been manufactured in Tunisia and to try to get one made in Germany as the Tunisian made were always dodgy. I got lucky, the part number for the German made is #30 165 906 381 for future reference. I'm gonna clean the throttle body as was suggested too, can't do any harm. Once again thanks to everyone and thanks for such a welcome onto the site as a whole...not even 24 hours and problem sorted! Hope I can return the favour sometime. Regards Jonathan.
Back to top Go down
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 19:27

Ahh nice one mate cheers , glad to be of help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff   Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Economy golf mk3 8v and other stuff
Page 1 of 1