VAG Wales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Polishing p-slots

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OwainMK1
VAG Whore
OwainMK1

Number of posts : 1464
Ride : MK1 Golf Gti + MK5 Golf Gti
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Polishing p-slots Empty
PostSubject: Polishing p-slots   Polishing p-slots EmptyThu Jun 24 2010, 19:28

Had a bit of spare time this week so decided i should start polishing my wheels

Tools i used

4.5" grinder with sanding disc
9" Buffer with 4.5" felt buffing wheel attatched
Wire wool
Paint stripper + Brush
Assortment of wet+dry sandpaper
Autosol metal polish

Started off with the grinder, cos the wheel had been kerbed pretty badly, just to smooth it and get rid of sharp edges.
The sanding wheel is pretty harsh so take care not to touch the face of the wheel or you'll be sanding hard to get rid of the mark.

Polishing p-slots 101_0110

Then i started with the paint stripper, the wheel still had the original paint and undercoat, which were pretty hard to shift. I would recommend being patient with the stripper and avoid temptation to use anything harsher. Cos when stripping the paint, your left with the bare aluminium itself without any deep sanding marks, cos you'll only regret it later when trying to remove them.

Polishing p-slots 101_0114

Once the paint is removed, I started to sand, using 240g first to remove any deep scratches, then went down to 400g, then 800g then finally 1200g.

Polishing p-slots 101_0113

Then i was left with this

Polishing p-slots 101_0115

Lookes very dull, but the result with the buffer and sum autosol metal polish is remarkable. I opted to use the buffer with the polishing mop as I can adjust the speed, but it could be fitted to the grinder. I worked the polish really well for a couple of minutes
Polishing p-slots 101_0117

Heres it is after the polish

Polishing p-slots 101_0119
Polishing p-slots 101_0118
Polishing p-slots 101_0120

After this polish, a few areas needed attention, so out with the paper an start all over again
The metal polish is fine for the polished look, but to get a mirror finish, i'm going to get sum blue buffing compound
Did it half a wheel so you could see it better, now on to the other 3 Neutral

Back to top Go down

Polishing p-slots
Page 1 of 1